Thursday, January 12, 2006

The San Francisco treat!

For those of you that don't know, or care for that matter, I was just in San Francisco. Last Wednesday I flew to San Francisco, having never been here before. I have created this blog because, well.. I'm a dork. Also, so everyone can see pictures before I've done my cheesy scrapbook by the year 2010. School/work/love/life keeps me a little busy.

However,since I'm told bitching is what I do best, let me begin this with my flight. It was hell. There should be a child-free airline. I would totally pay extra money to know that I will not be sitting near screaming, crying children. Now, the fat lady that takes up 2 seats, or the large man that doesn't seem to know what deodorant is, that's fair game. If you get stuck with one of those, just deal with it. Children, however, are another story. I was stuck with 2 kids kicking the back of my seat and screaming the entire 5 hour flight. No amount of dirty looks to the parents could make them control the nose-pickers. In fact, it may have made them worse. In these instances, I blame the parents. Is your child that spoiled that you can't make them stop screaming bloody murder?? When I was a kid all it took was a look. I didn't have to hear a word, I just got 'the look' and it was all over. But, I guess this goes back to that whole hitting your child thing and the legalities if it. Personally, I think a spanking never hurt anyone. I was spanked and I'm not crying abuse. Just beat the little bastards. Just kidding!! Wouldn't I make a great mom??



Anywho, so we begin our journey in the Argonaut Hotel, which is AWESOME. I cannot tell you how glad I am that I picked this place. It is the cutest hotel I have ever seen. Not to mention the great location! We were at the end of Fisherman's Wharf, right next to Pier 39. Lots of shopping, lots of food, lots of new credit card charges. The weather was fantastic. as well! No rain and/or flooding, thank you. Talk about perfect timing?!



We did one of those cheesy city tours the first day we were there and saw the Golden Gate Bridge & Park, the Full House house which people were way too excited about. John Stamos doesn't really turn me on. We drove by Haight and Ashbury (did I spell that right?), but didn't stop. Personally, I think the tour bus driver may have been a little scared of the hippies. She kept on pointing out random punks on the street, meanwhile there was a pink haired girl on the bus.



The reason behind this random trip was because my mother's neighbor had a family wedding to attend (most of her family is there, including her son). She invited us to tag-along, sort of. However, we stayed in Fisherman's Wharf and they were in San Jose, which is about an hour's distance. We were invited to the wedding, which we declined, but I was interested in going to the Henna Ceremony (they are from Pakistan). I figured it'd be different, and seeing as I don't have any other Indian friends I would probably not have this chance, again. The Henna Ceremony is a traditional ceremony before the actual wedding where the bride's hands and feet are painted with henna, as well as guests at the party. It's supposed to represent virginity and keep away the evil eye or something? Traditionally, this is an all female event (kind of like a bridal shower), so eventually, the men were kicked out and the families perform/dance/sing for the brides. It's really cute.





Next, it's off to Alcatraz. We took the ferry over and it was cold as hell. In case you don't know, Alcatraz is a former military/federal prison where people like Al Capone were held. It's its own little island right off Fisherman's Wharf. Most of the jail has been preserved and it's a big tourist attraction. You hike up to the jail about half mile and they have headphones for those stupid self-guided tours. It was creepy and kind of depressing, but interesting. I can't imagine what it's like living in a teeny cell for years and years. Apparently, Alcatraz was one of the only jails that allowed the inmates hot water for showers. The idea behind that being that they would acclimate to the hot water and not be able to swim in the bay without freezing to death. Lovely.



We also went to the Winchester Mansion in San Jose. The House was built by the heiress of the Winchester rifles, who was told by a psychic that ghosts were haunting her because of the many people killed with Winchester Rifles. So, she created this bizarre house to "trick" the ghosts, building doorways and stairs that lead to no where and had construction going on the house for 38 years straight. It's a huge place with a million rooms and stairs, all kind of small. Apparently Mrs. Winchester was only 4'10".




You can't go to San Fran without going to Napa Valley, so the wine tasting is next. I was labeled designated driver before I had a chance to argue, so you don't see me drinking. We went to Duckhorn (I think?), Coppola and some other place I can't remember the name of. It's a beautiful drive and the vinyards are gorgeous, but again, don't take the kiddies. It's pretty boring if you're not into wine. We actually bought some food and had a little picnic at one of the vinyards, and everyone finished off a bottle of wine. Drunken losers. Yes, I'm jealous.



Last thing I'll bore you with is the Japanese Tea Gardens. We did go to more places, but you'll have to ask me to see the pictures. The JTG is in Golden Gate Park and isn't all that exciting, unless you like pretty stuff. It's really picturesque and cute, with all it's plants and structures, but don't take the kids. It's boring.

And that is the end of our short San Francisco tour!!

1 Comments:

Blogger annush said...

Woo hoo...I got your first comment :D

I am glad you had a good time in San Francisco. It is actually an amazing place. That's probably the one place I would live in were I to move to CA.

Did you get your hands/feet painted? Indian weddings are the best. You should have gone even if only for educational purposes.

Anyway, you are good at travel writing...if you get tired of your job you should look into that :)

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home