Monday, January 15, 2007

Girlfriends


There's something to be said about girlfriends. Girlfriends can be catty, bitchy and competitive, but they can also be an ear to hear your whining, unwarented-yet-needed-advice and generally a fun companion when you have to run mindless errands. I had a lot of girlfriends when I was in high school. Considering I went to an all-girl school it was kind of inevitable, but things are way different now. Since I moved into Hell, FL I have surrounded myself with boys. Straight boys, gay boys, boys nonetheless. I keep telling myself it's because I don't have anything in common with any of the girls here and don't get along with them. I don't really know how true that is, but I will tell you one thing: I miss having girlfriends. Although one can say that having gay boys and girlfriends are the same thing, they really aren't. Yes, they're both fun to go shopping with, but you usually can't take the boys into the dressing room with you. Yes, you can talk about your romantic joys and sorrows with both, but gay boys are mostly whores, so the advice isn't the same.

My lack of girlfriends put me into a I NEED CHICK FRIENDS kick last week, so I actually put up a semi-personals ad on a website. I was surprised at the fact that I got quite a few responses from people claiming to be like me in that they weren't into the "Miami Scene" and just wanted someone to hang out with. Quite a few of these girls were from out of state and had just moved here less than a year ago and they all say the same thing: meeting people in Miami is close to impossible. I think young people here are just unfriendly. Unless you've been friends with someone since elementary school, or are part of their family, they don't bother. They don't need you. And, if you're not into the "party" scene it's even worse. At least with the drinking and drugging you can meet people while you're fucked up and may become friends with them. Apparently it's not so easy for us sober folks.

Now, out of the 7 responses I got there are 3 girls that I thought I may get along with. However, after the recent few emails this list has gotten smaller. One of the girls is OBSESSED with how much she just loooooves her boyfriend and how happy she is. Well, thanks. I'm happy for you, but I don't really need to hear it all the time. I don't want to be picky, but I can tell this is something that will get on my nerves. Girl number two is a bit trashy.. she's sarcastic and kind of obnoxious like me, but she's like 30 and still thinks she's a goth. That's just sad. Girl number three is still being evaluated, but I'll let you know how it goes.

As for the Miami school of thought in sticking with the people that have been there forever.. maybe they're right. Maybe there is something to be said for people that have known you for most of your life and have always been there. Through good moments, bad moments and everything in between.. they're there. That's pretty cool.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What am I? Chopped liver?

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home