Monday, February 06, 2006

Past Life Regression

"I've been trying to remember things, CLEARLY remember things, from my past, but the more I try to think back, the more it all starts to unravel. None of it seems real. It's like I've just been dreaming this life, and when I finally wake up, I'll be somebody else. Somebody totally different!" -Dark City

I hung out with some friends this past weekend and most of the evening was spent rehashing stories of our youth. All of us having grown up in Cuban households (with the exception of the sole Mexican) we all had a similar upbringing. Something struck me as I listened to all the stories, though.. I don't remember anything from my childhood. I only remember high school. Anything before that is a complete blur. I know how I was raised, and I remember little incidents here and there, but not to the extent of the stories I was litening to on Saturday.

I remember the time I went to the trashy neighbors house to hang out with their kids, after I was told not to, and I came home to get the beating of my life. Damn that correa. I also remember the time in 3rd grade that I got a bad grade and needed to have it signed by my mother. What did I do? I forged my mother's signature. In the third grade! Needless to say, I got another beating. These are really the only incidents I remember, though.

Was I that traumatized as a child? Or, have all the drugs from high school affected me that much? I do remember most of high school.. Like the time Ana had her Sweet 15 and I got smashed and someone took a picture of me with my hand on some guy's privates. I wasn't really a slut, I swear!! I remember all our corny dances, with our flannel shirts and Converse sneakers. I remember all our formal social functions. But, for the life of me, I cannot remember anything before freshman year.

Does the way you raise your child really have that much of an impact on their memory? Am I purposely storing all this info in the back of my mind somewhere? Maybe I should go to a hypnotherapist? They can rehash my youth and then some..

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zuzel's list had me in hysterics. The deleted comment intrigues me.

I think you really SHOULD see a (reputable) hypnotherapist. You seem to have some stuff locked away, and hypnotherapy might help you to figure things out about yourself.

12:58 AM  
Blogger annush said...

I don't think hypnotherapy is necessarily the way to go...I think psychotherapy is more appropriate. Getting stuff out little by little would probably be better than scaring the heck out of yourself with hypnotherapy. I have heard that with hypnotherapy you go straight into catharsis but I think that's too shocking and drastic. especially cause you don't know what you are looking for...

6:10 AM  
Blogger gotbrains? said...

For the record, I remember maybe 5 of the above incidents. Killing the crab being one of them. I stabbed it with a pencil. Was I supposed to be a serial killer??

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home